Monday, March 26, 2012

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil Black Ale‏ (JT's Review)

You have heard me say before that I really like Black Lagers. I really haven't had a lot of experience with Black Ales. I have seen Old Engine Oil on the shelves at Macadoodles for a while. I haven't ever been able to pull the trigger and get it because it is $23.00 a six pack. I finally found it in a build your own sixer at The Bottle in Fayetteville.

I am really glad that I didn't drop 23 bucks on a 6 pack of this beer. The beer itself wasn't bad at all, but it is way over priced.

Brewed in Scotland by the Harviestoun Brewery, it has an ABV of 6.0%. It tasted like a black lager with a more hoppy finish. I felt like the taste was a little thin and it had a relatively low alcohol content. There are a lot of beers out there that are much better and much more reasonably priced.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Brian,

    Many thanks for taking the time to review our Old Engine Oil. We always welcome candid opinions from folk; good or bad.

    Interestingly, you are not the first person to comment on the ABV. Old Engine Oil was originally brewed for the UK market, where we tend to enjoy beers in the 4-6% range. However, we have found that the US market tends to enjoy higher ABV beers.

    As a result, we have created and brewed a higher ABV version of Old Engine Oil (called Old Engine Oil Engineers' Reserve). It comes in at 9% and, we feel, has really good balance and depth.

    Far be it for us to foist another one of our beers on you! However, reading your review we think it might be more to your taste. If you are interested, you might want to get in touch with out importers www.bunitedint.com/
    to find out where it is available near to you.

    Once again, thanks for the review!

    All the best with the blog,
    Harviestoun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out our site! I want say for the record that I though your beer was ok. It is just hard to pay $23 for a sixer. Now, if you guys wanted to hook up the staff at Brian's Beer Guide with some vouchers for your beer, I would love to examine it a little more. Again, thanks for checking us out, and we will look for your other beers to try soon.

      Delete